New Delhi: Soon after Manchester United's FA Cup triumph, British media reported that Jose Mourinho would take over at Old Trafford in the summer.
The 2-1 win over Crystal Palace failed to salvage Dutchman Louis van Gaal's job despite him having a year left on his contract.
According to BBC, the 64-year-old said goodbye to the club's staff on Sunday and that United will announce the capture of the Portuguese manager later in the week.
Fans of the 20-time Premier League champions are now wondering what the club eventually offered the former Chelsea boss after several talks.
If a Daily Mail report is to be believed, the club had to go to extraordinary lengths to secure Mourinho's signature.
Here is what the 53-year-old finally settled for:
- United paid Mourinho £4 million to prevent him from joining other big clubs
- Jose will earn £75m during the course of his five-year deal
- He will be sanctioned £200m to spend on the players of his choice
- United inserted a 'behavioral clause' in big-money deal. Jose however did not accept it.
- The two parties actually reached an agreement midway through the Premier League season.
Mourinho, sacked by Chelsea in December after his second spell in charge of the west London club, has also managed Porto, Inter Milan and Real Madrid, winning Europe`s premier Champions League tournament with both Porto and Inter Milan.
(With Agency inputs)