Enrique wins first friendly as Barca coach
Barcelona`s new coach Luis Enrique notched up a 1-0 win Saturday in his first game in charge, a pre-season friendly against second division club Recreativo de Huelva.
In the absence of star strikers Lionel Messi, Neymar and new signing Luis Suarez, Enrique gave a workout to substitutes and B-team youngsters such as Joan Roman, 21, who scored Barca`s 65th-minute winner.
Seconds earlier Barcelona`s returning first-team forward Gerard Deulofeu, 20, had a powerful shot blocked by Huelva`s goalkeeper Dani Sotres only for Roman to slam home the rebound from close range.
Barcelona dominated possession over their Andalusian hosts but laboured to hit their target in the first half.
In the second half Enrique changed the line-up, introducing Deulofeu, who has returned to the club after a season on loan to Everton.
As well as his saved shot, he hit the crossbar two minutes from full time after being played through by Ibrahim Afellay.
The Catalan club`s new goalkeeper, German international Marc-Andre ter Stegen, also played in the second half for his first game in a Barcelona strip.
Enrique is overhauling the squad after a disappointing season in which Barcelona narrowly failed to defend their Spanish league title.
Barcelona have said goodbye to stalwarts such as Carles Puyol, goalkeeper Victor Valdes and midfielder Cesc Fabregas, and have made several new signings.
These include two new goalkeepers, Ter Stegen and Claudio Bravo, and Croatian midfielder Ivan Rakitic. The latter two did not play on Saturday.
Argentine ace Messi and Brazil`s Neymar were on holiday after playing for their countries in the World Cup.
Uruguay`s Suarez, the club`s latest star signing, is serving a four-month FIFA ban for biting an opponent in the World Cup.
Saturday`s friendly match marked the 50th edition of the Colombino Trophy, an annual fixture hosted by Huelva that celebrates its proud history as Spain`s oldest football club.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users