EPL 2012: Chelsea defeat Wigan 2-0
Wigan: Eden Hazard inspired Chelsea to a 2-0 win at Wigan on his Premier League debut, providing an assist for Branislav Ivanovic to score in the second minute before being fouled for Frank Lampard`s penalty five minutes later.
Chelsea remained comfortable for the rest of the match, although Wigan midfielder Jordi Gomez missed several chances in the second half.
Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo was delighted with the Hazard`s impact. "Hazard was outstanding, produced a lot of quality and was always a threat," Di Matteo said. "He was difficult to mark and it was pleasant to watch him today. It was perfect that we managed to score two early on. It settled nerves. We were looking for a good start, but it doesn`t always happen."
Wigan debutant Ivan Ramis was at fault for both Chelsea goals — Hazard turning away from him to play in Ivanovic and the Spanish defender brought down the Belgian international in the penalty area moments later.
Manager Roberto Martinez refused to criticise Ramis after the match, instead preferring to focus on his team`s improved performance after going two goals down.
"We didn`t start with the intensity you need in the league. It was like a pre-season game, but I was pleased with the reaction," Martinez said. "If you drop one per cent in this league, you get punished. I felt we had our chances, and if we had scored at least once, we would have a better feeling. It is a start we can build on though."
Ramis made up for his error in the second half, clearing Fernando Torres` chip off the line as Chelsea looked to increase its lead. Brazilian attacking midfielder Oscar, who came off the bench to make his first Chelsea appearance, also went close in the finishing stages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray