EPL 2012: Chelsea defeat Wigan 2-0
Wigan: Eden Hazard inspired Chelsea to a 2-0 win at Wigan on his Premier League debut, providing an assist for Branislav Ivanovic to score in the second minute before being fouled for Frank Lampard`s penalty five minutes later.
Chelsea remained comfortable for the rest of the match, although Wigan midfielder Jordi Gomez missed several chances in the second half.
Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo was delighted with the Hazard`s impact. "Hazard was outstanding, produced a lot of quality and was always a threat," Di Matteo said. "He was difficult to mark and it was pleasant to watch him today. It was perfect that we managed to score two early on. It settled nerves. We were looking for a good start, but it doesn`t always happen."
Wigan debutant Ivan Ramis was at fault for both Chelsea goals — Hazard turning away from him to play in Ivanovic and the Spanish defender brought down the Belgian international in the penalty area moments later.
Manager Roberto Martinez refused to criticise Ramis after the match, instead preferring to focus on his team`s improved performance after going two goals down.
"We didn`t start with the intensity you need in the league. It was like a pre-season game, but I was pleased with the reaction," Martinez said. "If you drop one per cent in this league, you get punished. I felt we had our chances, and if we had scored at least once, we would have a better feeling. It is a start we can build on though."
Ramis made up for his error in the second half, clearing Fernando Torres` chip off the line as Chelsea looked to increase its lead. Brazilian attacking midfielder Oscar, who came off the bench to make his first Chelsea appearance, also went close in the finishing stages.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference