EPL 2012: Chelsea defeat Wigan 2-0
Wigan: Eden Hazard inspired Chelsea to a 2-0 win at Wigan on his Premier League debut, providing an assist for Branislav Ivanovic to score in the second minute before being fouled for Frank Lampard`s penalty five minutes later.
Chelsea remained comfortable for the rest of the match, although Wigan midfielder Jordi Gomez missed several chances in the second half.
Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo was delighted with the Hazard`s impact. "Hazard was outstanding, produced a lot of quality and was always a threat," Di Matteo said. "He was difficult to mark and it was pleasant to watch him today. It was perfect that we managed to score two early on. It settled nerves. We were looking for a good start, but it doesn`t always happen."
Wigan debutant Ivan Ramis was at fault for both Chelsea goals — Hazard turning away from him to play in Ivanovic and the Spanish defender brought down the Belgian international in the penalty area moments later.
Manager Roberto Martinez refused to criticise Ramis after the match, instead preferring to focus on his team`s improved performance after going two goals down.
"We didn`t start with the intensity you need in the league. It was like a pre-season game, but I was pleased with the reaction," Martinez said. "If you drop one per cent in this league, you get punished. I felt we had our chances, and if we had scored at least once, we would have a better feeling. It is a start we can build on though."
Ramis made up for his error in the second half, clearing Fernando Torres` chip off the line as Chelsea looked to increase its lead. Brazilian attacking midfielder Oscar, who came off the bench to make his first Chelsea appearance, also went close in the finishing stages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`