“I have some transfer work to do”: Wenger
London: Arsene Wenger cut short his press conference following Arsenal`s 5-1 thrashing of West Ham "to do some work" on the club`s transfer targets.
The Gunners came from a goal down to put their London rivals to the sword on Wednesday night, with Olivier Giroud scoring twice in a 12-minute blitz early in the second half to help secure all three points.
Wenger was pleased with the way his side responded after going behind to a Jack Collison strike, and reserved special praise for Lukas Podolski - whose thunderbolt strike restored parity in the first half - in the short time he spoke on the match.
"We got a good response," he told reporters. "West Ham were dangerous in the first half and from set-pieces. In the second half we created chance after chance.
"I thought it was an interesting test [at 1-0]. I couldn`t predict we would score five, it was vital to equalise before half-time.
"It was a repetition of the game at West Ham when we were 1-0 down. Everybody can score against everybody.
"I never felt that the players didn`t know how important it is. I was worried they were sometimes a bit inhibited.
"Podolski was outstanding. He has an unbelievable shot, the keeper had no chance. It was new for us, we scored from a corner!
"I still believe [the left] is his best position. Yes [he had one of his best games], he was also very good in the away game at West Ham."
Wenger confirmed that Thomas Vermaelen is doubtful for the Gunners` FA Cup clash with Brighton on Saturday after suffering an ankle problem, but when pressed on the club`s dealings in the transfer market, he was quick to suggest that some developments were in the pipeline.
When asked whether there were any updates, he confirmed: "No [I have nothing to tell you]. That is why I have to shorten the press conference, because I have to do some work!"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani