Wenger warns Manchester United: Fabregas will stay at Barcelona for `one more year`
London: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has revealed he is not expecting to sign Cesc Fabregas this summer as the midfielder has elected to stay for "one more year" at Barcelona.
The Gunners insisted on a €29 million buy-back clause in the Spaniard`s contract when they sold him to the Spanish champions two years ago.
But despite Manchester United trying to force the issue with an opening bid of €30m on Monday, the Frenchman believes he will not need to make an offer to prevent his former captain moving to Old Trafford.
Wenger has been in regular contact with his former captain this summer, and he now claims to know the latest about the Spaniard`s future.
"At the moment, Fabregas has decided to stay one more year at Barcelona," Wenger told the press.
"We have the clause in the contract so we would be on alert but, at the moment, that’s not something we`re after."
The former Arsenal captain has struggled to make himself a first-team regular since returning to his boyhood club in 2011 but the sale of youngster Thiago to Bayern Munich is set to free up more space in Tito Vilanova`s midfield.
Indeed, the current Barcelona boss insisted earlier this week that the 26-year-old was keen to stay and fight for his place.
He said: "I am aware that we have received offers from other teams. I talked with him and he told me he wants to stay.
"Cesc doesn`t contemplate the possibility of going to another club. He knows that the competition here is great. His dream is to succeed here."