£100,000-a-week Luke Shaw would 'kill' Chelsea`s stability, says Jose Mourinho
Zee Media Bureau/Dattaraj Thaly
New Delhi: Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has stirred up a controversy by claiming he pulled the plug on Luke Shaw`s transfer to Chelsea over his huge wage demands.
The left-back who ultimately signed for Manchester United for a £27m fee became the fourth most expensive defender in world football.
Speaking to the media, the "Special One"said: " If we pay to a 19-year-old boy what we were being asked for, to sign Luke Shaw, we are dead. We would have killed our stability with financial fair play and killed the stability in our dressing room, because when you pay that much to a 19-year-old kid - a good player, fantastic player - but when you pay that amount of money, the next day, we would have had players knocking on our door. They would have been saying, `How is it possible I play 200 games for this club, won this and that, yet a 19-year-old comes here and gets more money than I get`?".
It is being reported that Shaw is being paid £100,000 a week at Old Trafford.
Mourinho`s comment was picked up by the media who asked new Manchester United manager for his reaction after his training session at Denver’s Sports Authority Field. The Dutchman said: "I don`t have to answer, I don`t think I have to discuss things with the media. Its better to discuss it with Jose".
Incidently, Shaw happens to be a boyhood supporter of Chelsea. He was picked up England as part of the 23-man squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil where he became the youngest player to feature at the tournament.
By making the switch from Southampton to Manchester United and signing a four-year deal, the England international became the highest paid teenager in club football.
The English Premier League season is still a few days away but the two big managers are already indulging in mind games. Mourinho and Gaal are known to be strong individuals and it would be interesting how their interpersonal dynamics influences the two teams in the pitch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch