Fergie blames referees for costing United three more European Cups
London: Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has blamed referees for the club`s Champion League defeat by Real Madrid, saying that the match officials have cost United the chance of winning three more European Cups. Nani`s dismissal saw United fall apart and lose 2-1 to Real Madrid at Old Trafford as Ferguson`s side exited the Champions League at the last-16 stage.
The Scot said that the continental officials had already denied his team two prior chances to be crowned European champions with poor decisions, although he added that United had won two of them, one against Porto in 2004 and the other against Bayern Munich in 2010. Breaking his silence on Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir`s controversial decision to show Nani a straight red card, Ferguson said that Nani`s red card cost United the game, as both he and the players lost their composure, and as a result, their concentration in the fateful match. Adding that had United scored a second goal then they would have won the match, Ferguson said that it is hard to retain on to one`s faith during such circumstances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'