Fergie warns Man U players against losing focus in quest of ‘treble glory’
London: Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has said these are important times for the team as they are fighting for three major trophies, and he warned his players against losing their focus, urging them to realise the importance of this crucial period of the season. United threw away an eight-point advantage last term with just six games to go as rivals Manchester City nipped ahead of them to win the Premier League on goal difference.
Now, Ferguson’s men, who are also competing for Champions League and FA Cup glory, have a nine-point lead at the summit of the table with 13 games remaining, and the United boss does not want to see any slip-ups as he calls on his players to maintain their appetite for a 20th league crown. Ferguson said he is hoping that the players realise that the league is there for them to win, adding it’s obviously a big challenge and we’ve got the FA Cup and the Champions League as well and it’s always an important time.
Ferguson further said players have shown great appetite for it and they showed that against Tottenham Hotspurs in the way they fought like hell to get a result, and were unlucky it went against them at the end, as they drew 1-1 right in the death. With United facing Real Madrid on Wednesday in the first leg of their last-16 encounter at the Bernabeu, this really is a crucial time in their season. The Old Trafford outfit also faces an FA Cup fifth round tie with Reading on February 18 and Ferguson is looking for a push on all three fronts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'