French second-tier club AS Monaco eyeing Rooney swoop
London: Mega-rich French club AS Monaco, which is heading for promotion in France, is ready to launch a bid to sign Manchester United star Wayne Rooney.
Monaco, managed by ex-Chelsea boss Claudio Ranieri, wants to mark its top-flight return by making Rooney their marquee summer signing.
Monaco officials have told Rooney`s camp they are prepared to blow their rivals "out of the water" with a huge transfer fee and tax-free wage deal.
Fellow super-rich French side Paris St-Germain and German giants Bayern Munich are also keen on the unsettled England hitman, with Rooney himself understood to fancy Barcelona.
But Monaco`s billionaire owner Dmitry Rybolovlev is on a mission to lead the club back to the top of European football and sees Rooney as the man to help him.
His current deal expires in 2015 and is worth a whopping 230,000-pound a week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak