‘I’ll back my black players if they walk off,’ says Ferguson following ‘Rio walkout’
London: Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson has said that he would back any of his black players walking off the pitch in protest against racial abuse.
The Manchester United boss believes the threat from the game’s black community to make a stand on the issue by halting games is real.
Ferguson’s comments come after Rio Ferdinand followed his bother Anton’s move of refusing to wear a ‘Kick It Out’ anti-racism T-shirt in protest to the perceived weak punishment meted out to John Terry for his verbal abuse.
“I don’t think it’s any different to what has happened in previous games in that particular place. There are quite a few places where this happens. Italy is the same. Do the players walk off if this happened? I wouldn’t blame them and it could happen at some point if this continues,” the Daily Star quoted Ferguson, as saying.
“If my players walked off because they felt insulted and didn’t think they were getting support from UEFA then I’d have to support them. One day that will probably happen where black players walk off the pitch,” he said.
Fergie also said that Rio had let Manchester United down by refusing to wear the t-shirt.
“I’m disappointed because I said in the press conference yesterday that every player in the country should adhere to the PFA’s request. It is embarrassing for me. We are all wearing the badges and he goes and lets us down. We’ll deal with it, don’t worry,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof