Jonny Evans now Sir Alex`s first-choice defender
Manchester: Man United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has acknowledged that Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic may no longer be his first-choice pairing at centre-back.
The Serbian played the entire 90 minutes at Old Trafford against Everton on Sunday but was left out of the side which earned a 1-1 draw at the Santiago Bernabeu against Real Madrid in midweek, with Rio Ferdinand coming in to replace him.
The United boss admitted that it was a risk leaving the 31-year-old out of the Champions League tie but ultimately believes that he did the right thing in rotating his two senior centre-backs.
"I had my doubts about whether I was doing the right thing or not because he was fantastic against Everton but I stuck by what we’ve been doing with him," Sir Alex told The Sun. "Three days [between games] to my mind was a risk.
"It would have been the same for Ferdinand; if he had played on the Sunday I would have had my doubts whether to play him on Wednesday."
Jonny Evans played both matches for the Red Devils and Sir Alex believes that the Northern Irishman is developing into an outstanding player.
The 71-year-old added: "Jonny has emerged as a real top defender and his form has been fantastic.
"The thing about young players, particularly defenders, when you get consistency from them you know you’re on the right track with them. I think Jonny has shown great consistency in the last year.
"If you remember what I said about last year, it wasn’t until Ferdinand and Evans played regularly together that we got a run going."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31