Man U meets Nike officials to plot sensational £65m Ronaldo swoop
London: Manchester United has met Nike officials to plot a sensational 65 million pound worth swoop for their player Cristiano Ronaldo, who plays for Spanish champions Real Madrid. Any such move would reunite Ronaldo with Wayne Rooney, who Alex Ferguson has vowed will be a United player next season. The Nike representatives flew in to London to also talk about the renewal of their shirt sponsorship agreement with the Red Devils, but top of the agenda was talks about how they could help the club get Ronaldo.
Nike is desperate to get the Portuguese star back to the biggest football club that wears their logo, adding the sportswear company currently sponsor Ronaldo in terms of boots and sportswear but are frustrated that he runs out in an adidas shirt with Real Madrid every week, the paper said. Nike believes their global brand would be even stronger with Ronaldo back in their United shirt, the paper reported. United would need to put together a deal of 65 million pound plus a player like Nani to tempt Madrid to sell this summer, but they could have to go further for a player they sold to the Los Blancos for 80 million pound almost four years ago.
Nike wants to help in any way they can, as their current 13-year shirt deal with United is worth 303 million pounds and expires in 2015, and the Red Devils would be looking for at least double that figure and maybe even three times the next time around. According to reports, Nike could even renegotiate the deal early so United have the cash this summer, and there could also be a greater incentive written into any new sponsorship contract for Ronaldo based on him being at United.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened