Rooney admits handing over Manchester United penalty duties
London: Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has admitted he asked manager Sir Alex Ferguson to remove him from penalty-taking duties.
Rooney has missed 10 times from the spot for the Red Devils, including two this season, and has claimed he went to Sir Alex Ferguson and asked for alternative arrangements to be made.
United were awarded a spot-kick in the third minute of their very next game against Fulham, which Ryan Giggs slotted home.
“To be honest it was my choice,” Rooney said.
“It wasn`t good enough. I went in to speak with the manager and said I`d spoken with Robin [van Persie] and told him he could take them.
“At a club like this to miss two penalties like I did and not hit the target wasn`t good enough.”
Robin van Persie will now be Manchester United’s first-choice penalty taker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?