Rooney admits handing over Manchester United penalty duties
London: Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has admitted he asked manager Sir Alex Ferguson to remove him from penalty-taking duties.
Rooney has missed 10 times from the spot for the Red Devils, including two this season, and has claimed he went to Sir Alex Ferguson and asked for alternative arrangements to be made.
United were awarded a spot-kick in the third minute of their very next game against Fulham, which Ryan Giggs slotted home.
“To be honest it was my choice,” Rooney said.
“It wasn`t good enough. I went in to speak with the manager and said I`d spoken with Robin [van Persie] and told him he could take them.
“At a club like this to miss two penalties like I did and not hit the target wasn`t good enough.”
Robin van Persie will now be Manchester United’s first-choice penalty taker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway