Rooney admits handing over Manchester United penalty duties
London: Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has admitted he asked manager Sir Alex Ferguson to remove him from penalty-taking duties.
Rooney has missed 10 times from the spot for the Red Devils, including two this season, and has claimed he went to Sir Alex Ferguson and asked for alternative arrangements to be made.
United were awarded a spot-kick in the third minute of their very next game against Fulham, which Ryan Giggs slotted home.
“To be honest it was my choice,” Rooney said.
“It wasn`t good enough. I went in to speak with the manager and said I`d spoken with Robin [van Persie] and told him he could take them.
“At a club like this to miss two penalties like I did and not hit the target wasn`t good enough.”
Robin van Persie will now be Manchester United’s first-choice penalty taker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh