Rooney admits handing over Manchester United penalty duties
London: Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has admitted he asked manager Sir Alex Ferguson to remove him from penalty-taking duties.
Rooney has missed 10 times from the spot for the Red Devils, including two this season, and has claimed he went to Sir Alex Ferguson and asked for alternative arrangements to be made.
United were awarded a spot-kick in the third minute of their very next game against Fulham, which Ryan Giggs slotted home.
“To be honest it was my choice,” Rooney said.
“It wasn`t good enough. I went in to speak with the manager and said I`d spoken with Robin [van Persie] and told him he could take them.
“At a club like this to miss two penalties like I did and not hit the target wasn`t good enough.”
Robin van Persie will now be Manchester United’s first-choice penalty taker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- SCOPE for accountability check of NGOs getting funds from PSUs
- Govt to invest Rs 200 crore on scaling up existing incubators
- MUST WATCH VIDEO FOR ALL CRICKET FANS: When Rahul Dravid found himself stranded against XI South Africans
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ
- Will meet Dayashankar's daughter on Sunday: Naik