Ryan Giggs extends contract to play past 40th birthday
Manchester: Manchester United midfielder Ryan Giggs has signed a new one-year contract which will see him enter his 23rd senior season with the club.
The 39-year-old penned his first professional deal with the Red Devils in 1990 and has since made a club-record 931 appearances whilst winning 12 Premier League titles, four FA Cups and two Champions Leagues.
But the winger is not done yet, and insists he is excited by the prospect of adding to his already impressive honours list this season.
The Welshman told the club`s official website: “I am feeling good, enjoying my football more than ever and, most importantly, I feel I am making a contribution to the team.
"This is an exciting team to be part of, with great team spirit, and we are again pushing for trophies as we head towards the business end of the season.
"I am delighted to have signed a new contract. I would like to thank Sir Alex and the coaching staff and I would also like to thank David Gill who has been a tremendous support over my many years here."
United boss Sir Alex Ferguson also expressed delight at the news, and suggested Giggs` ability and hunger are "as strong as ever".
“What can I say about Ryan that hasn’t already been said? He is a marvellous player and an exceptional human being," the Scot said. "Ryan is an example to us all, the way in which he has, and continues to, look after himself.
"He has fantastic energy for the game and it is wonderful to see. Ryan seems to reach a new milestone every week and to think that he now has 23 unbroken years of league goals behind him is truly amazing in the modern-day game.
"His form this year shows his ability and his enjoyment of the game are as strong as ever and I am absolutely delighted that he has signed a new contract.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy