Sir Alex says Champions` League quarterfinal spot within grasp
London: Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has claimed a spot in the Champions League quarterfinal round is well within their grasp following an inspiring 1-1 draw against Real Madrid at Santiago Bernabeu on Wednesday in the first leg of their round of 16 tie.
Ferguson claimed the tie isn’t over yet but feels United has a strong chance to qualify for the quarterfinals of Europe’s most elite competition, the Telegraph reports. Danny Welbeck put United ahead in the 20th minute with a fine header, however, former Red Devil Cristiano Ronaldo leveled the score line ten minutes later with a sublime headed goal.
None of the teams could find another breakthrough in the game and the match ended in a draw, which Ferguson claimed is a result they would have taken before the game.
Ferguson reserved special praise for goalkeeper David De Gea, who performed stunningly to keep Madrid attackers at bay. De Gea is only 22, still developing and will make mistakes in the future, particularly when placed under pressure at corners in the Premier League, yet this was undoubtedly a significant moment for him, the paper reported.
At a time when there is plenty of talk about United looking to recruit Asmir Begovic from Stoke City, De Gea picked the right moment to remind his critics of his qualities. Early on, he had to endure the barracking of the Ultras Sur, inevitably as a former Atlético Madrid player but he ignored them, focusing on frustrating their players.
Ferguson said De Gea has been improving all season, adding there was one save in the first half of the hame, which he touched on to the post and it was a superb save. Fergie added he is pleased for De Gea, as an Atlético Madrid boy playing here in Madrid, but he has done well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!