Sir Alex talks of selection headache ahead of Man United`s treble run in
London: Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has assured team`s fringe players that they have a big part to play in club`s quest to replicate their historic 1999 treble success.
Fergie knows one of his toughest jobs is keeping all his squad happy and several were gutted when he left them out against Real Madrid, but he has pointed to Paul Scholes` example in 1999 and how he played a major role in their historic Treble success even though he did not start all the big games, the Daily Mirror reports.
Ferguson said in 1999 he left Scholes out of the quarter-final against Inter Milan, yet he was the one who scored the goal that got us through, adding he left him out of the semi-final because he couldn`t risk him and Roy Keane together as they were both on yellow cards. The Scot added Scholes accepted it graciously, came on, got booked and missed the final anyway, adding what did he do? He didn`t let it affect him, and he went on to become one of the greatest players this club has ever had.
Fergie said the players sense it could be a big year for them, but at this club, in this situation, anything can happen on the run-in, adding players can all of a sudden find themselves playing in a final or an important league game because that is the kind of squad he has.
Ferguson added it is very difficult to rotate the squad at the moment, adding they all wanted to play against Real Madrid and there were a lot of disappointed players. Fergie said that was fantastic, adding it is a measure of their own confidence in themselves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next