Swansea ruin Van Gaal bow, Ramsey saves Arsenal
London: Swansea City condemned Louis van Gaal to defeat in his first Premier League game as Manchester United manager on Saturday, while Aaron Ramsey scored a stoppage-time winner for Arsenal.
Van Gaal was taking charge of his first competitive match at United, but his new side exhibited many of the same failings from last season -- when they finished seventh -- as they slumped to a 2-1 loss.
It was Swansea`s second consecutive win at Old Trafford, after an FA Cup third-round success in January, and dealt United their first home defeat on the season`s opening day since 1972.
"It is very disappointing that we have lost our first home match," said Van Gaal, who handed competitive debuts to 20-year-old Tyler Blackett and 21-year-old Jesse Lingard.
"We were very nervous in the first half, made the wrong choices, and that is a pity. In the second half, we never played as a team. Therefore, I`m responsible."
Gylfi Sigurdsson, back at Swansea after two years at Tottenham Hotspur, gave his side victory by squeezing a shot past United goalkeeper David de Gea in the 72nd minute after Wayne Routledge miscued a volley.
Sigurdsson had earlier teed up South Korea midfielder Ki Sung-yueng to stroke home a 28th-minute opener, before new United captain Wayne Rooney hooked in an equaliser for the injury-ravaged hosts.
"We have been working hard in pre-season on defensive shape and we can get even better at that," Swansea manager Garry Monk told BT Sport.
"But there were pleasing signs in the way we stuck together and the goals we scored against a side of Manchester United`s resources."
FA Cup winners Arsenal opened their campaign with victory after Ramsey gave them a last-gasp 2-1 success at home to Crystal Palace, who are without a manager following Tony Pulis`s shock departure on Friday.
New signing Brede Hangeland gave Palace a 35th-minute lead, shrugging off the attentions of Arsenal star signing Alexis Sanchez to meet Jason Puncheon`s in-swinging corner with a glancing header.
Laurent Koscielny was caught napping by Hangeland`s dart to the near post, but the Arsenal centre-back atoned in first-half injury time by ghosting in to head home a teasing free-kick from Sanchez.
Palace had Jason Puncheon sent off for two bookable offences and Arsenal capitalised in the 91st minute when Ramsey notched from close range after Julian Speroni had saved from Mathieu Debuchy.The late excitement at the Emirates Stadium was mirrored in three other games.
New Zealand striker Chris Wood came off the bench to earn promoted Leicester City a dramatic 2-2 draw at home to Everton in their first top-flight game since 2004.
After Leicester new recruit Leonardo Ulloa had cancelled out Aiden McGeady`s precise 20th-minute opener, Steven Naismith looked to have given Everton victory, only for Wood to fire home four minutes from time.
Eric Dier enjoyed a dream debut for Tottenham by scoring a 93rd-minute winner at West Ham United in manager Mauricio Pochettino`s first game at the Spurs helm.
After Spurs full-back Kyle Naughton and West Ham centre-back James Collins had both been sent off, substitute Dier coolly rounded goalkeeper Adrian in stoppage time before rolling home the game`s only goal.
"I am not sure why I was up in attack, to be honest," said Dier, a 20-year-old English centre-back who signed from Sporting Lisbon two weeks ago.
"I`m told the assistant boss said to the manager, `What`s he doing there?` And even I don`t know why I was there. I don`t normally get into those positions."
At The Hawthorns, meanwhile, new West Bromwich Albion manager Alan Irvine was denied victory against Sunderland by an 85th-minute goal from Sebastian Larsson.
West Brom led 2-1 after Saido Berahino replied to Lee Cattermole`s early 25-yard strike with a brace, but Larsson earned Sunderland a 2-2 draw by sweeping home a cut-back from debutant Patrick van Aanholt.
James Chester`s 52nd-minute header gave Hull City a 1-0 win at promoted Queens Park Rangers, while Andreas Weimann earned Aston Villa a 1-0 victory at Stoke City.
Champions Manchester City travel to Newcastle United on Sunday, with Liverpool, the side they pipped to last season`s title, hosting Southampton.
Chelsea, third last season, visit promoted Burnley on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview