Van Persie escapes FA rap for violent conduct over alleged elbow incident
London: Manchester United striker Robin Van Persie will not be charged with violent conduct by the Football Association (FA) over an off the ball elbow incident with Newcastle United midfielder Yohan Cabaye during their 3-0 win at the Sports Direct Arena on Sunday.
Match referee Howard Webb informed FA that the Dutch forward’s clash with French international Cabaye does not warrant further action after reviewing the incident on Tuesday.
Van Persie appeared to be facing a charge, which could have led to a three-match suspension, after television footage highlighted Cabaye being hit by the former Arsenal captain’s left arm.
United manager Sir Alex Ferguson substituted Van Persie, who had already been booked by Webb prior to the second-half incident with Cabaye, moments after the clash.
Confirmation that the 22 million pound forward will not face disciplinary action will be welcomed by United, with the player now free to play against his former club, Arsenal, at Old Trafford next month.
Similarly, Liverpool forward Luis Suarez will not face FA action after calls by Stoke City manager Tony Pulis for the Uruguayan to be charged with diving during Sunday’s 0-0 draw between the two clubs at Anfield.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next