Wayne Rooney heads closer to Man United exit?
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Manchester: Manchester United are understood to be open to the idea of selling Wayne Rooney for a sum of around £35 million to make way for Real Madrid man Cristiano Ronaldo to head back to Old Trafford, according to ESPN, a leading sports website.
The feature revealed that a Red Devils source had admitted that Rooney could be sold but that any "prospective transfer was dependent on a `complicated chain of events`, but one that could also see Cristiano Ronaldo end up back at the club."
There has been a lot of media speculation regarding the Evertonian`s future after he was relegated to the bench in arguably one of Man United`s biggest fixtures of the season as they took on Real Madrid in the Champions` League`s second leg at Old Trafford.
While Sir Alex`s decision to start with Welbeck seemed to work, United eventually went out of the tournament after Nani was controversially sent off just before the hour mark, with the Manchester club a goal in front. Madrid went on to take advantage of the man advantage and won the game thanks to goals from Modric and ex-Red Devil Cristiano Ronaldo.
The Portuguese superstar, who spent several successful seasons at the club before leaving for Real, admitted that he still has feelings for Man United and refused to rule out a return to the club.
Any prospective transfer though would be complicated given United`s lack of City-like funds and Ronaldo`s current price-tag. There are rumours that Nani could be used to sweeten the deal for Real, given that they haven`t expressed an interest in signing Rooney. But the England international could be sold to PSG, who have reportedly expressed an interest, and that money could be used to easen the financial burden the Old Trafford outfit could face in trying to bring back their favourite Portuguese.
It is unclear whether Rooney himself would want to move to the French capital or whether he`d want to leave Man United at all. The website that broke the news went on to add that "given that they would also have to find a high-profile replacement, United are treading carefully and his departure is by no means certain."
Whether or not Rooney does leave the club, it does appear like he has dropped in the pecking line after Van Persie`s arrival in the summer and knowing Rooney`s temperament, he would definitely not be happy with the way things stand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'