Manchester United's Rooney may be out for two months
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Manchester: Wayne Rooney is facing the prospect of watching his Manchester United teammates from the sidelines for at least two months thanks to a severe gash that he suffered during Saturday’s Premier League encounter against Fulham.
The cut that reportedly required 10 stitches was a result of Fulham’s striker Hugo Rodellega’s collision with the 26-year-old that saw him being carried off the pitch on a stretcher.
Initially, Alex Ferguson thought that Rooney might be out for at least one month but the severity of the injury may force the striker to not only miss crucial EPL encounters but also three Champions League fixtures and England’s World Cup qualifiers against Moldova and Ukraine.
This has come as a double whammy for Rooney who was dropped from the starting line-up for the Saturday’s fixture possibly owing to his recent form with the latest example being the opening game against Everton that his side lost 1-0.
With the arrival of Robin van Persie and Shinji Kagawa, Manchester United can now afford the luxury of toying with the idea of dropping him from the first team depending on his form -- a prospect that was unthinkable for the 19-time EPL winners in the recent years post the departure of Cristiano Ronaldo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of IS video proving the authenticity of Batla House encounter
- DNA: Analysis of how adulterated food is putting people's lives at risk
- DNA: How Potassium Bromate and Potassium Iodate in breads can cause cancer