Michu strikes twice as Swansea punish QPR

London: Swansea`s Spanish contingent saw them move up to seventh in the Premier League table with a fine 4-1 victory over an inept QPR at the Liberty Stadium.

QPR will grab the headlines in what was yet another dismal afternoon for Harry Redknapp’s men in South Wales, but all eyes should be on Swansea who could make a late surge for a top-six finish.

Redknapp was without striker Loic Remy – still sidelined with a groin injury – but handed a first Premier League start in 14 months to Jermaine Jenas. For Swansea, Dutch goalkeeper Michel Vorm made his comeback from a knee injury.

The Swans dominated the game from the very first whistle, their passing game mesmerising the Rangers defence at times and it took just seven and a half minutes for the Welsh side to take the lead.

Dyer stung the palms of Julio Cesar with a powerful effort from outside the box. The Brazilian goalkeeper got a hand to the ball but could only parry it towards the incoming Michu, who scuffed his shot but saw it loop into the back of the net.

Just 10 minutes later, Swansea doubled their lead. Wayne Routledge’s stunning pass put Rangel in behind Jamie Mackie. The full-back’s strike from a narrow angle was blocked once again by Cesar but Rangel was the quickest to fire home the rebound.

Redknapp sought to change the game and made a double change at half-time that provoked a quick response as two minutes after the break Bobby Zamora pulled one back for Rangers. Ben Davies’s loose pass was intercepted by Adel Taarabt who drove towards goal. Taarabt’s long-range strike was saved well by Vorm, but he could not hold onto the ball and it was parried towards the incoming Zamora who made it 2-1.

QPR’s joy, however, was short-lived. Swansea responded to conceding when Pablo Hernandez worked his magic down the left wing. Weaving into the box and dribbling his way past Nedum Onuoha, the Spaniard fired across goal and his attempted cross somehow found its way past Cesar and into the bottom corner.

As QPR rallied they were denied a clear penalty when Ashley Williams handled Stephane Mbia’s volley in the box. The referee waved away the protests before Kyle Bartley cleared off the line as Rangers attempted to force their way back into the game.

With the game petering out, there was more joy for Swansea and Michu. The Spaniard, latching on to Dyer`s superb through-ball behind Christopher Samba managed to clip the ball past the onrushing Cesar.

The only blemish for Swansea was the injury to defender Chico Flores who was stretchered off with an ankle injury following a collision with QPR’s Mbia and could miss the Capital One Cup final at Wembley in two weeks` time.