Real Madrid confirms Modric signing
Madrid: Real Madrid football club Monday announced the signing of Croatian midfielder Luka Modric on a five-year contact.
Modric joins the Spanish giants from Tottenham Hotspurs on a deal thought to be in the region of 35 million Euros, ending a long running transfer saga.
The two clubs have also penned a mutual collaboration agreement which will see them work together and facilitate loan agreements.
Modric, who will celebrate his 28th birthday Sep 9, joins Madrid after spending four seasons in London. He has 57 international caps for his country and Real Madrid hope he will provide cover in central midfield following the loan of Nuri Sahin to Liverpool and the likely departure of Brazilian midfielder Kaka before the transfer window closes by the end of August.
Real Madrid announced the signing of the player less than 24 hours after their surprise defeat to Getafe in the BBVA Primera Liga Sunday night and just two days before they entertain FC Barcelona in the return leg of the Spanish Supercup Wednesday.
Modric is unlikely to play in that game, where Madrid need to overturn a 3-2 defeat from the first leg, but he could appear when his new side faces Granada next Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY