Swansea sign Argentina defender Federico Fernandez
London: Swansea City on Wednesday announced the signing of Argentina defender Federico Fernandez from Napoli on a four-year contract for an undisclosed fee.
"Swansea City are delighted to confirm the signing of Napoli and Argentina defender Federico Fernandez for an undisclosed fee, subject to international clearance," read a statement on the Premier League club`s website.
"The 25-year-old passed his medical on Monday before putting pen to paper on a four-year deal at the Liberty today (Wednesday)."
While the fee for Fernandez was undisclosed, British media reports said that it was around £8 million ($13.3 million, 10 million euros).
Fernandez started four games for Argentina in their run to the World Cup final, where they were beaten 1-0 by Germany after extra time. He has won 26 international caps.
He is expected to partner Swansea captain Ashley Williams in central defence, following the sale of Spanish defender Chico Flores to Qatari side Lekhwiya last week.
Subject to international clearance, Fernandez could go into the squad for Swansea`s league game at home to Burnley on Saturday.
Fernandez started his career with Argentine club Estudiantes, before moving to Napoli in July 2011 for around £2.5 million. He spent time on loan at Spanish side Getafe in 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH