Swansea sign Argentina defender Federico Fernandez
London: Swansea City on Wednesday announced the signing of Argentina defender Federico Fernandez from Napoli on a four-year contract for an undisclosed fee.
"Swansea City are delighted to confirm the signing of Napoli and Argentina defender Federico Fernandez for an undisclosed fee, subject to international clearance," read a statement on the Premier League club`s website.
"The 25-year-old passed his medical on Monday before putting pen to paper on a four-year deal at the Liberty today (Wednesday)."
While the fee for Fernandez was undisclosed, British media reports said that it was around £8 million ($13.3 million, 10 million euros).
Fernandez started four games for Argentina in their run to the World Cup final, where they were beaten 1-0 by Germany after extra time. He has won 26 international caps.
He is expected to partner Swansea captain Ashley Williams in central defence, following the sale of Spanish defender Chico Flores to Qatari side Lekhwiya last week.
Subject to international clearance, Fernandez could go into the squad for Swansea`s league game at home to Burnley on Saturday.
Fernandez started his career with Argentine club Estudiantes, before moving to Napoli in July 2011 for around £2.5 million. He spent time on loan at Spanish side Getafe in 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Aditi and Mohit Malik’s Indonesian vacation will give you honeymoon goals
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today