EPL clubs win warm-ups on a day Arsenal thumped Manchester City for Shield
Zee Media Bureau/Jayanta Oinam New Delhi: On a day Arsene Wenger`s Arsenal thumped champions Manchester City in the Community Shield 3-0 to stake their claim as one of the title contenders, Chelsea and Liverpool also got their acts together registering emphatic wins elsewhere. At the hallowed ground of Anfield, Brendon Rodgers` Liverpool humiliated German power-house Borrusia Dortmund 4-0, showing no signs of hangover after the departure of Luis Suarez. Brazil play-maker Phillipe Coutinho ran the show allowing a free-flowing football to dominate the 2012-13 Champions League finalists. After Daniel Sturridge opened the scoring as early as 10th minute, goals from Dejan Lovren, Coutinho and Jordan Henderson completed the rout to provide Reds a perfect warm-up to their league campaign. However, Chelsea came from behind to beat the Hungarian outfit Ferencvaros in Budapest. Goals from Ramires and former Barcelona and Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas saved the blues for Jose Mourinho. The friendly also witnessed Blues returning legend Didier Drogba limped off on 28th minute. A late goal from French midfielder Moussa Sissoko help Newcastle United beat La Liga club Real Sociedad at St James’ Park. Sissoko combined with his national team-mate Gabriel Obertan to score the only goal of the match. At Stuttgart, Hull City continued their impressive form by defeating the Bundesliga club 2-1. Three days earlier, Steve Bruce`s side started their continental foray with a win over Trencin in their UEFA Europa League tie. Tiger`s new signing Andrew Robertson scored the winning goal after David Meyler`s early opener was labelled by Vedad Ibisevic for Stuttgart.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth