EPL: Swansea survive Hammers` blows in draw
London: Swansea and West Ham shared the points in a goalless Premier League draw at the Liberty Stadium on Sunday.
The Hammers repeatedly troubled a relatively short in stature Swansea defence from set-pieces, something that will gave been noted by Cardiff ahead of next weekend`s south Wales derby,
Razvan Rat`s free-kick was hooked off the line by Angel Rangel while West Ham`s Guy Demel and Kevin Nolan also missed good chances.
But West Ham goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen made two point-blank stops to deny Chico Flores and Wilfried Bony and Swansea also had a late penalty appeal for handball against Joe Cole turned down.
Early on, West Ham and England winger Stewart Downing, after being one-on-one with Neil Taylor, cut in before forcing a sharp save from Michel Vorm, with Demel steering the ball over the crossbar from the ensuing corner.
Both sides then spurned excellent chances in the 20th minute.
Flores headed straight at Jaaskelainen from point-blank range and West Ham collected the loose ball.
As the Hammers persisted with an aerial attack, Vorm had a lucky break when he missed Rat`s free-kick under pressure from Kevin Nolan before Rangel hooked the goal-bound ball clear
He found Morrison but the Hammers rising star dragged his shot wide of the far post.
Swansea were put under more set-piece pressure in the second half, Vorm unconvincingly punching a sliced Michu clearance.
The Dutchman was similarly troubled by Matt Jarvis`s high through ball, which Nolan flicked over the bar.
West Ham manager Sam Allardyce sent on Carlton Cole for his second West Ham debut while Swansea counterpart Michael Laudrup brought on Bony.
The Ivorian thought he had given Swansea the lead with 19 minutes left.
A corner fell kindly for the striker but Jaaskelainen pushed out his shot from the edge of the six-yard box, with Mark Noble clearing Flores` follow-up header off the line.
Swansea thought they should have been awarded a stoppage-time penalty but referee Phil Dowd let play continue following Swans` appeals that Cole had handled a Nathan Dyer cross.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'