Eric Abidal could play again: Doctor
Barcelona: Barcelona left-back Eric Abidal could play football again after undergoing a liver transplant, the doctor who conducted the operation has said.
The 32-year-old defender had surgery to remove a tumour on his liver in March 2011, but after returning to play, he was forced to undergo a transplant in April.
Abidal continues his daily recovery work at Barca`s Ciutat Esportiva gym, despite the fact that there is still no estimation about when the Frenchman will be allowed to play again.
But doctor Juan Carlos Garcia-Valdecasas, the president of the International Liver Transplant Society (ILTS), insists that the Frenchman`s career cannot yet be considered to be under threat.
"If he will play again? I do not rule anything out, but it depends on his capacity," Garcia-Valdecasas said.
"What is normal is that non-sportsmen return to work after three to six months, sometimes after a year. And you have to give that amount of time to everyone."
"The first three to six months are crucial. It is important that there are no infections."
"I am really fond of him, and when Barca won the Copa del Rey and the players put his shirt inside the trophy, I felt connected with their action."
"He went through a tough situation, which was hard for him to take at first, but ever since he took it well, all that he has got are friends."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you