Eric Brown guides United Sports Club to victory
Duler: Eric Brown scored a brace to guide United Sports Club to a 2-1 win over Dempo in an entertaining I-League match, played at Duler Stadium, Mapusa, on Saturday.
United, who had the major share of exchanges, scored both their goals in the second half through Eric Brown, (on 50th and 55th minute), who played the major role in the team`s victory.
Dempo, who came on their own in the latter part of the first-half reduced the margin through Clifford Miranda in the 60th minute. The win takes United to 15 points from nine matches, while Dempo remained on 10 points from nine matches.
Dempo played a subdued game at the start, allowing the visitors to dictate terms in the midfield and preferred to attack on the counter.
The visitors who enjoyed major share of exchanges but could not get past Dempo defence. They tried couple of long range shots but keeper Subhasish Roy Chowdhury was equal to the task as he made a fine save from Bello Rasaq`s shot from distant.
Dempo who found their rhythm in the last quarter of the first-half with Roberto Silva, their mainstay in the midfield, steered the attack as both the teams went all out to break the deadlock but could not in the barren first-half although created a couple of chances with Pronay shooting wide and Jeje failing to connect a cross.
United Sports club finally broke the deadlock after the break when Eric Brown surprised their opponent with a stunning drive to give keeper Subhasish no chance in the 50th minute.
Brown again found the net five minutes later to take the visitors 2-0 up.
Dempo retaliated with Clifford Miranda nicking one into the net off Roberto Silva`s flagkick.
Dempo`s coach Arthur Papas brought in Holicharan Narzary and Billy Mehmet in place of Alwyn George and Jeje Lalpakhlua and they nearly came close to finding the equaliser but rival keeper Ishan Debnath made good saves to deny Roberto and Simon Colosimos.
The match finally switched towards the visitors in the closing minutes and Ranti Martins, who had a quiet day, nearly scored but keeper Subhasish made a diving save.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP