Eto`o and Drogba on Africa`s top player shortlist
London: Three-times African Footballer of the Year Samuel Eto`o was among five players named on a shortlist for the 2009 award on Thursday.
Cameroon and Inter Milan striker Eto`o, winner in 2003, 2004 and 2005, faces stiff competition from Ivory Coast and Chelsea forward Didier Drogba, Ghana and Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien of Chelsea, Mali and Barcelona midfielder Seydou Keita and Ivory Coast and Barcelona midfielder Yaya Toure.
The five finalists were announced by the Cairo-based Confederation of African Football. The winner will be announced on Feb. 25. and is voted for by each coach of Africa`s 53 member associations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference