Eto`o fires Inter, Roma rally to win for Ranieri
Rome: Samuel Eto`o scored a spectacular goal to set Inter Milan on their way to a 2-0 win over Parma and AS Roma came from behind to beat Siena 2-1 in Claudio Ranieri`s first match in charge on Sunday.
Eto`o broke visiting Parma`s stubborn resistance when he curled in a right-foot shot in the 71st minute before Diego Milito wrapped up victory with a late strike to give the Serie A champions seven points from three games.
Inter Milan are two points behind Sampdoria, who maintained their perfect start with a 1-0 win at Atalanta despite Fernando Tissone`s red card, and Juventus, who won 2-0 at Lazio on Saturday.
Inter, who thrashed AC Milan 4-0 before the international break, went out to attack at the San Siro, with Wesley Sneijder forcing a good early save from Parma keeper Antonio Mirante.
But Parma frustrated the hosts by defending in numbers and Brazil defender Maicon shouted back angrily when sections of the San Siro crown booed Inter off at the end of the first half.
Jose Mourinho tried to spice things up by bringing on Mario Balotelli to give his side a three-pronged attack alongside Eto`o and Milito.
His entrance briefly added impetus to Inter`s attack but Parma seemed to be getting the measure of them when Eto`o`s flash of brilliance broke the deadlock.
A powerful 89th-minute free kick by John Arne Riise gave Roma their first points of the season after defeats by Juventus and Genoa led to Luciano Spalletti quitting.
They looked in trouble after Massimo Maccarone made Philippe Mexes dizzy with fine dribbling before rifling a left-foot shot into the top corner to give Siena the lead in the 26th minute.
But Mexes brought the visitors back into it with a 73rd-minute equaliser and their cause was helped when Siena midfielder Paul Codrea was sent off minutes later for a second yellow card.
Daniele Mannini finished off a counter-attack in the 63rd minute in Bergamo to earn Sampdoria a share of top spot with Juve.
Samp`s city rivals Genoa can join them at the summit if they beat Napoli at home later on Sunday (1845).
Fiorentina are level on points with Inter after Alberto Gilardino`s soaring header in the 55th gave them a 1-0 victory over Cagliari.
Antonio Di Natale scored a hat-trick in Udinese`s 4-2 win over Catania and Palermo drew 1-1 at home with Bari in a match which started over 20 minutes late because of heavy rain showers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus