Eto`o says `winning, entertaining fans` more important than money
Washington: New Chelsea player Samuel Eto`o has insisted that he had made the move to unheralded Russian side and his former club Anzhi Makhachkala for the challenge rather than the financial rewards.
The four-time African Player of the Year, who signed for Chelsea in August after reuniting with manager Jose Mourinho, had signed for moneybags Makhachkala in August 2011 and became the highest paid player in the world.
According to CNN, the move raised a lot of questions considering Anzhi`s standing on the European stage and gave credence to the argument that Eto`o was more interested in stuffing his pockets than scoring goals in one of the Europe`s top divisions.
However, Eto`o, who won the Champions League on three occasions, starred for Real Madrid, Barcelona and Inter Milan and led Cameroon to Africa Cup of Nations glory twice, dismissed the allegations and said that move was not a question of money given that he has won almost every trophy except the World Cup.
Stating that it also depended on motivation, Eto`o revealed that although he had the opportunity to play again in Inter Milan and other Italian teams, he went to Anzhi as he wanted to see if he could win anything for the club, although he added that it is normal for people to make such accusations.
According to Eto`o, he only thinks about winning a game, having fun and entertaining the fans, adding that he does not think whether he has money in his bank account or not.
However, the report mentioned that the money has helped hundreds of disadvantaged children in his home country Cameroon as his foundation `Fundacion Privada Samuel Eto`o` helps provide basic healthcare and works on improving social inclusion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar