Eto`o scores eighth goal of World Cup campaign
Yaounde: Samuel Eto`o scored his eighth goal of the World Cup qualifying campaign on Wednesday to help steer Cameroon to a 2-1 win over Gabon and top place in African Group A.
It was the second win in five days over the previous group leaders and catapults Cameroon from last place to first in the standings with two rounds left to play.
Olympique Lyon midfielder Jean Makoun opened the scoring in the 24th minute when he diverted a free-kick from Newcastle`s Geremi into the net.
Eto`o was quickest to a rebound in the 64th minute after Gabon`s goalkeeper Didier Ovono parried a shot from Achille Webo.
Daniel Cousin scored a consolation goal in the final minute but Gabon have now dropped to second in the group on six points, one behind Cameroon. Cameroon next host Togo in Yaounde on Oct. 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing