1970 Brazil better than Spain: Pele
Brasilia: Pele has expressed his admiration for the current Spain side but insisted that if Vicente Del Bosque`s men are not as good as Brazil`s World Cup winners of 1970.
Having become the first side to win three consecutive major tournaments on the back of their Euro 2012 success, La Roja are now being touted as the finest international team of all time.
However, Pele still believes that the Selecao side which triumphed in Mexico 42 years ago had more truly great players within their ranks.
"If I were playing, we would win, no doubt," the former Santos star is quoted as saying by Reuters. "The 1970 side set the standard by which others are measured.
"These comparisons will always be there, but you cannot compare them individually. But the 1970 team had better players than Spain, who have only two or three great players.
"But without doubt, this Spain team plays the football that I have enjoyed watching the most over the past two generations."
As well as Pele, who is regarded by many as the greatest player of all time, Mario Zagallo`s World Cup winners also boasted fellow footballing legends such as Carlos Alberto, Clodoaldo, Jairzinho, Gerson, Tostao and Rivelino.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez