1970 Brazil better than Spain: Pele
Brasilia: Pele has expressed his admiration for the current Spain side but insisted that if Vicente Del Bosque`s men are not as good as Brazil`s World Cup winners of 1970.
Having become the first side to win three consecutive major tournaments on the back of their Euro 2012 success, La Roja are now being touted as the finest international team of all time.
However, Pele still believes that the Selecao side which triumphed in Mexico 42 years ago had more truly great players within their ranks.
"If I were playing, we would win, no doubt," the former Santos star is quoted as saying by Reuters. "The 1970 side set the standard by which others are measured.
"These comparisons will always be there, but you cannot compare them individually. But the 1970 team had better players than Spain, who have only two or three great players.
"But without doubt, this Spain team plays the football that I have enjoyed watching the most over the past two generations."
As well as Pele, who is regarded by many as the greatest player of all time, Mario Zagallo`s World Cup winners also boasted fellow footballing legends such as Carlos Alberto, Clodoaldo, Jairzinho, Gerson, Tostao and Rivelino.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city