1970 Brazil better than Spain: Pele
Brasilia: Pele has expressed his admiration for the current Spain side but insisted that if Vicente Del Bosque`s men are not as good as Brazil`s World Cup winners of 1970.
Having become the first side to win three consecutive major tournaments on the back of their Euro 2012 success, La Roja are now being touted as the finest international team of all time.
However, Pele still believes that the Selecao side which triumphed in Mexico 42 years ago had more truly great players within their ranks.
"If I were playing, we would win, no doubt," the former Santos star is quoted as saying by Reuters. "The 1970 side set the standard by which others are measured.
"These comparisons will always be there, but you cannot compare them individually. But the 1970 team had better players than Spain, who have only two or three great players.
"But without doubt, this Spain team plays the football that I have enjoyed watching the most over the past two generations."
As well as Pele, who is regarded by many as the greatest player of all time, Mario Zagallo`s World Cup winners also boasted fellow footballing legends such as Carlos Alberto, Clodoaldo, Jairzinho, Gerson, Tostao and Rivelino.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir?
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part II
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part III
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- Obama vows support for Germany after Munich shooting
- Islamic State supporters hail deadly Munich shooting on social media
- 1st Test, Day 2 Report: Kohli double ton, Ashwin century put India in charge against West Indies
- Silicon Valley leads avalanche of quarterly reports
- UN backs plan to rid Libya of chemical weapons