Alonso under no illusion Spain is the team all will want to beat at Euro 2012
London: Spain appear to be in no mood to surrender the European Championship title which they won four years ago after a 44-year-long wait.
Mid-fielder Xabi Alonso is under no illusion that Spain will be the team all would want to beat, and ruthlessly.
The Sun quoted the former Liverpool star, as saying: “We have developed into a near perfect team. We have a great sense of pride and responsibility to live up to the expectations. The danger for Spain was if we had gone into this tournament with a sense of destiny and complacency.”
“If we think we don’t have to work hard, or put in too much effort to win, then the danger is evident. But that is not the case with Spain. We are responsible, committed and driven three of the main reasons why we are in this position. The challenge is to win our third successive title and create history,” he added.
“But we are under absolutely no illusions; we are the team everyone wants to beat. People don’t want us to win. They expect us to win,” Alonso said.
“We are not complacent. We don’t underestimate our rivals and collectively we are pulling in the same direction.”
The man who played at Anfield for five years, said: “Until Euro 2008, when everything came together, we went into tournaments like England tipped for success and with massive pressure. If I could hand out any advice to England, it would be to ignore the hype and work as a team.”
“There are no superstars in the Spanish side. There is just complete unity and belief. We win together and we lose together. I have lived and played in England and I know what football means to the supporters. It is more than a sport,” Alonso said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH