Spain are not boring, insists Prandelli
Kiev: Italy coach Cesare Prandelli has revealed his admiration for Spain`s style of play during Euro 2012 and dismissed the opinion of critics who have claimed La Roja are boring.
The Azzurri are set to meet Vicente del Bosque`s men in the Euro 2012 final on Sunday, but the Spaniards come into the game amidst accusations of lacking penetration during their route to the showpiece.
However, the Italian boss has dismissed the suggestions completely and spoke of other teams` fear of the world and European champions.
"Boring Spain?" He said to reporters. "In fact the other teams are afraid and play defensively against them, but they manage to win in the end anyway, so that hasn`t really worked either.
"They are not boring at all."
The debate on the best way to try and counter Spain`s `tika-taka` style remains, but the 54-year-old believes ball retention will be vital to his side`s success.
"Our main task tactically will be to recover the ball as soon as possible," he continued.
"Where will we recover the ball it would depend on how Spain play, but our main focus will be closing the spaces to prevent them from playing their game, especially in the middle of the pitch."
Prandelli thinks his opposite number will continue to use the same system and added that playing without an out-and-out forward allows the Spaniards to attack through various other avenues.
"I expect the same Spain, the one that suffocates their rivals, it`s a team that doesn`t receive goals," he added.
"Even if they play without strikers, they attack you from very deep positions, they are very modern and I like the way they play.
"We will try to adapt to the way they play, whether if they use a number 9 or not."
As for his own tactics, the former Juventus boss is not considering starting a five-man defence but may switch systems during the match should he see it necessary.
He said: "These last few matches we have been able to maintain a balance, so I`m not thinking on changing to a five-back line, it might happen during the match but we won`t play that way from the beginning."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears