Arshavin`s creativity outweighs low stamina: Advocaat
Warsaw: Russian midfielder Andrei Arshavin`s creative genius is enough to make up for his low stamina, coach Dick Advocaat said.
Arshavin played the entirety of both of Russia`s first two games at Euro 2012, despite playing 90 minutes only six times in 29 games for Arsenal and Zenit St. Petersburg last season.
"I left him on the pitch because he can score a goal from nothing," Advocaat said when asked why he did not substitute Arshavin in Russia`s 1-1 draw with Poland Tuesday.
"He can significantly influence the team."
Arshavin set up two of Russia`s goals in the opening 4-1 win over the Czech Republic last week, and provided the assist for Alan Dzagoev to score against Poland.
With three assists at Euro 2012, Arshavin is equaled only by Spain`s David Silva.
Russia next game is against Greece in Warsaw Saturday night.
If the Russians win, they are assured of a place in the quarter-finals as group winners, while Greece need a victory to have any hope of progressing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre