Carroll may start against France in Euro 2012
London : England officially finalised the 23-man squad for the European Championship here Tuesday with Liverpool`s out-of-form centre-forward Andy Carroll given the iconic leading striker`s number nine shirt.
Only two changes were made by manager Roy Hodgson from his announced provisional squad May 16.
Manchester City midfielder Gareth Barry will miss the tournament thanks to a muscle tear in his lower abdomen and has been replaced by Everton defender Phil Jagielka, sources report.
Goalkeeper John Ruddy of Norwich City had been forced to quit because of a finger injury last week and replaced by Birmingham City `s Jack Butland.
Danny Welbeck and Glen Johnson, who had a injury scare, were both retained in the squad.
Carroll, who started in England`s 1-0 warm-up victory over Norway May 26, got a more clear hint that he might be the first choice striker for England`s first two group matches (against France and Sweden) after he was confirmed to wear the number nine shirt.
Wayne Rooney is under a two-match ban and will only be eligible in the third group match against the co-hosts Ukraine.
Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Robert Green (West Ham), Jack Butland (Birmingham City)
Defenders: Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), John Terry (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), Leighton Baines (Everton), Phil Jagielka (Everton)
Midfielders: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Manchester United)
Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city