Chiellini’s injury boost for England ahead of Euro quarterfinal clash
London: Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini has been ruled out of the ongoing Euro Cup after picking up a thigh injury during their 2-0 win over Republic of Ireland, and the news has given a timely boost to England before their quarterfinal clash on Sunday.
Chiellini had to be replaced by fellow center-half Leonardo Bonucci during the game and manager Cesare Prandelli`s initial fears were confirmed on Wednesday.
“The first tests are not great,” Prandelli was quoted as saying after their match against Ireland.
When asked if his tournament was over, Prandelli added: “I don`t know, we will see.”
Chiellini had taken to Twitter to reassure fans, saying: “On Wednesday I will have some tests to better check the injury but you can be certain that I will do everything to return as soon as possible.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India may clock near 8% growth on back of good monsoon: Das
- Jewish ringleader gets life for burning alive Palestinian teen
- France says EU-US trade pact talks likely to stop
- IPL 2016: Rishabh Pant's maiden fifty powers Delhi Daredevils to 8-wicket win over Gujarat Lions in Match 31
- Police oppose plea to recall Headley in 26/11 trial