Del Bosque confident Fabregas will be ready for Euro 2012
Madrid: Spain coach Vicente del Bosque trusts that Cesc Fabregas and the rest of the Barcelona and Athletic Bilbao contingent will be ready defend the Roja title at Euro 2012, although the former Arsenal player will sit out Sunday`s clash against China.
Representatives from the Basque and Catalan teams were given extra time by Del Bosque to recover from the rigours of their Copa del Rey final clash, won by Barcelona by three goals to nil. The Blaugrana have provided no less than seven of Spain`s squad for the continental competition, while Javi Martinez and Fernando Llorente were included from Athletic.
Speaking on Saturday ahead of the friendly, Del Bosque turned his attention to the Copa competitors, and stated that he expected them to play some part against the Asian side.
"They are all in good condition. We will probably turn to them in certain cases so that they will play in the course of the match," the World Cup-winning coach affirmed at a press conference, while dismissing worries over Cesc`s fitness.
"He was submitted to some tests yesterday and the doctors saw that he is doing well. Later he will join the rest of the group and he may be ready on June 10."
Del Bosque also referenced the high expectations surrounding the Spanish team as they look to add another crown to their trophy cabinet, and warned that a repeat of 2008`s triumph was far from assured.
"We have a lot of pressure because we know that the optimism has become too great. The truth is there are 16 teams and it is not easy to call this a bed of roses. We are used to pressure and we will try to live up to this. There is extra responsibility here."
Spain will kick off their defence in Group C against Italy, before meeting Ireland and Croatia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves