England draw a good result : Debuchy
Warsaw : France right-back Mathieu Debuchy has praised his team’s performance against England on Monday, but has insisted that their Euro 2012 campaign is just getting started.
A superb Samir Nasri strike earned Les Bleus a 1-1 draw with the Three Lions in their first Group D encounter after Joleon Lescott opened the scoring, with Roy Hodgson’s side frustrating their opponents with a dogged defensive display.
Karim Benzema and Patrice Evra spoke of their frustration at being unable to turn their possession into meaningful chances in the second half against a compact England back line, but Lille full-back Debuchy believes the result was a positive one given the balance of play early on.
"It`s still a good draw and a good result," he told reporters. "When you see the beginning of the game, it makes sense and we are content.”
"It’s Awesome to play against England, it is not easy to get inside them, but we had to. The first 20 minutes we were struggling but as the game went on, we had more control of the ball.”
France take on Ukraine in their second Group D match on Friday in Donetsk, with the co-hosts currently sitting top of the section following their 2-1 win over Sweden on Monday night.
Debuchy believes his side will take encouragement from their opening display into what will be a tough encounter with Oleg Blokhin’s outfit.
"This is the beginning,” the 26-year-old said. “You have to take it all in a big competition, there are several factors. It will help us for the next games.”
“We have always said that Ukraine would be there in this group. It will not be straight forward, it’ll be a tough game."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown