England play to win against Ukraine: Carroll
Kiev: Andy Carroll insists England will not adopt a defensive approach in their final group game against Ukraine.
England face the co-hosts on Tuesday in Donetsk and only a point is needed to secure qualification for the quarter-finals. But the Liverpool striker is feeling confident that England will win their final group game.
"We think we can finish the job against Ukraine. We are confident,” Carroll told reporters.
"We showed what we are about against Sweden after going behind and have put ourselves in with a good chance of qualifying. Things are in our hands.
"We will just need a point on Tuesday but we will go there and try and get the win. That`s the way we are and approach games."
After scoring the opening goal in the 3-2 victory over Sweden, the 23-year-old striker is hoping to be picked to play alongside the returning Wayne Rooney against Oleg Blokhin`s side. Carroll is in competition for a starting place with Manchester United`s Danny Welbeck, who also scored on Friday.
And despite healthy competition in the squad, the player who cost his club £35 million from Newcastle United revealed that spirits are high in the England camp.
"We`ve got a great team spirit going on. We are really close,” he said.
"Back at the camp, we all stick together, we are all good friends and have a laugh and a joke. That is a key really."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi