England play to win against Ukraine: Carroll
Kiev: Andy Carroll insists England will not adopt a defensive approach in their final group game against Ukraine.
England face the co-hosts on Tuesday in Donetsk and only a point is needed to secure qualification for the quarter-finals. But the Liverpool striker is feeling confident that England will win their final group game.
"We think we can finish the job against Ukraine. We are confident,” Carroll told reporters.
"We showed what we are about against Sweden after going behind and have put ourselves in with a good chance of qualifying. Things are in our hands.
"We will just need a point on Tuesday but we will go there and try and get the win. That`s the way we are and approach games."
After scoring the opening goal in the 3-2 victory over Sweden, the 23-year-old striker is hoping to be picked to play alongside the returning Wayne Rooney against Oleg Blokhin`s side. Carroll is in competition for a starting place with Manchester United`s Danny Welbeck, who also scored on Friday.
And despite healthy competition in the squad, the player who cost his club £35 million from Newcastle United revealed that spirits are high in the England camp.
"We`ve got a great team spirit going on. We are really close,” he said.
"Back at the camp, we all stick together, we are all good friends and have a laugh and a joke. That is a key really."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you