Euro 2012: Germany fear nobody, warns Podolski
Warsaw: Lukas Podolski says he and his team-mates do not have any reason to fear any of Germany`s remaining rivals for the Euro 2012 crown.
Joachim Low`s side beat Greece 4-2 in the first of the quarter-finals to set up a semi-final clash against Cesare Prandelli`s Italy, who overcame England on penalties.
With victory over the Ethniki, die Mannschaft set a record by winning 15th consecutive competitive matches, and Podolski says that his side carrying an unbreakable momentum into every match.
"The confidence in the Germany team is very high after the way our tournament has gone so far," he told Bild.
“I watched almost all the other matches, and I know one thing. In this year’s tournament there is not one single team we have to be afraid of.
"Modern football is very fast and aggressive - exactly as it is played in Germany. It suits us. So if it’s a final with Spain, we’ll be happy and we’ll believe we can win," he continued.
"But let’s wait. First they, and we, have to win our semi-finals.”
The 27-year-old sat out the win against Greece after being replaced by young star Andre Schurrle, but is confident of regaining his place in Low`s starting line-up.
“I’m not making a fuss and I’m not feeling down," he added. "Nothing bad has happened, has it? The coach wanted to try out other players and they did well.
“The most important thing is what’s good for the team. We won and the rest doesn`t matter.
“Of course I want to play this time and maybe the coach was just saving my strength for the semi-final. Who knows?
"I just have to work hard in training and show I am ready. Whatever happens, I cannot wait for the battle in Warsaw. We will be up for it."
Germany and Italy kick off at 20:45CET on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town