Euro 2012: Germany fear nobody, warns Podolski
Warsaw: Lukas Podolski says he and his team-mates do not have any reason to fear any of Germany`s remaining rivals for the Euro 2012 crown.
Joachim Low`s side beat Greece 4-2 in the first of the quarter-finals to set up a semi-final clash against Cesare Prandelli`s Italy, who overcame England on penalties.
With victory over the Ethniki, die Mannschaft set a record by winning 15th consecutive competitive matches, and Podolski says that his side carrying an unbreakable momentum into every match.
"The confidence in the Germany team is very high after the way our tournament has gone so far," he told Bild.
“I watched almost all the other matches, and I know one thing. In this year’s tournament there is not one single team we have to be afraid of.
"Modern football is very fast and aggressive - exactly as it is played in Germany. It suits us. So if it’s a final with Spain, we’ll be happy and we’ll believe we can win," he continued.
"But let’s wait. First they, and we, have to win our semi-finals.”
The 27-year-old sat out the win against Greece after being replaced by young star Andre Schurrle, but is confident of regaining his place in Low`s starting line-up.
“I’m not making a fuss and I’m not feeling down," he added. "Nothing bad has happened, has it? The coach wanted to try out other players and they did well.
“The most important thing is what’s good for the team. We won and the rest doesn`t matter.
“Of course I want to play this time and maybe the coach was just saving my strength for the semi-final. Who knows?
"I just have to work hard in training and show I am ready. Whatever happens, I cannot wait for the battle in Warsaw. We will be up for it."
Germany and Italy kick off at 20:45CET on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam