Euro 2012: Germany fear nobody, warns Podolski
Warsaw: Lukas Podolski says he and his team-mates do not have any reason to fear any of Germany`s remaining rivals for the Euro 2012 crown.
Joachim Low`s side beat Greece 4-2 in the first of the quarter-finals to set up a semi-final clash against Cesare Prandelli`s Italy, who overcame England on penalties.
With victory over the Ethniki, die Mannschaft set a record by winning 15th consecutive competitive matches, and Podolski says that his side carrying an unbreakable momentum into every match.
"The confidence in the Germany team is very high after the way our tournament has gone so far," he told Bild.
“I watched almost all the other matches, and I know one thing. In this year’s tournament there is not one single team we have to be afraid of.
"Modern football is very fast and aggressive - exactly as it is played in Germany. It suits us. So if it’s a final with Spain, we’ll be happy and we’ll believe we can win," he continued.
"But let’s wait. First they, and we, have to win our semi-finals.”
The 27-year-old sat out the win against Greece after being replaced by young star Andre Schurrle, but is confident of regaining his place in Low`s starting line-up.
“I’m not making a fuss and I’m not feeling down," he added. "Nothing bad has happened, has it? The coach wanted to try out other players and they did well.
“The most important thing is what’s good for the team. We won and the rest doesn`t matter.
“Of course I want to play this time and maybe the coach was just saving my strength for the semi-final. Who knows?
"I just have to work hard in training and show I am ready. Whatever happens, I cannot wait for the battle in Warsaw. We will be up for it."
Germany and Italy kick off at 20:45CET on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre