EURO 2012: Jermain Defoe expected back with England squad
Zeenews Sports Bureau
KRAKOW ( Poland):England Striker Jermain Defoe, who has as many as 47 caps for his national team is expected to rejoin his squad for Euro 2012 on Saturday after flying home to London on Thursday following the death of his father.
England spokesman Mark Whittle said that Defoe should be back in time to be available for selection for England`s opening Group D fixture against France in Donetsk on Monday.
He is widely expected to be selected as an impact substitute as he has won 30 of his 47 caps as a substitute. He narrowly missed on scoring a goal, when he hit the post in England`s 1-0 win over Belgium in their final warm-up match for the tournament.
Defoe published a message of thanks to his well-wishers via his Twitter account on Friday and said:
"I want to thank the fans, my family, friends, the England boys, the FA and manager for their support. I can`t tell you how much it means to me. I love you all, may God bless you. A special thank you to Royal Marsden`s doctors & nurses who looked after my dad. Very special people."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living