EURO 2012: Jermain Defoe expected back with England squad
Zeenews Sports Bureau
KRAKOW ( Poland):England Striker Jermain Defoe, who has as many as 47 caps for his national team is expected to rejoin his squad for Euro 2012 on Saturday after flying home to London on Thursday following the death of his father.
England spokesman Mark Whittle said that Defoe should be back in time to be available for selection for England`s opening Group D fixture against France in Donetsk on Monday.
He is widely expected to be selected as an impact substitute as he has won 30 of his 47 caps as a substitute. He narrowly missed on scoring a goal, when he hit the post in England`s 1-0 win over Belgium in their final warm-up match for the tournament.
Defoe published a message of thanks to his well-wishers via his Twitter account on Friday and said:
"I want to thank the fans, my family, friends, the England boys, the FA and manager for their support. I can`t tell you how much it means to me. I love you all, may God bless you. A special thank you to Royal Marsden`s doctors & nurses who looked after my dad. Very special people."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?