EURO 2012: Jermain Defoe expected back with England squad
Zeenews Sports Bureau
KRAKOW ( Poland):England Striker Jermain Defoe, who has as many as 47 caps for his national team is expected to rejoin his squad for Euro 2012 on Saturday after flying home to London on Thursday following the death of his father.
England spokesman Mark Whittle said that Defoe should be back in time to be available for selection for England`s opening Group D fixture against France in Donetsk on Monday.
He is widely expected to be selected as an impact substitute as he has won 30 of his 47 caps as a substitute. He narrowly missed on scoring a goal, when he hit the post in England`s 1-0 win over Belgium in their final warm-up match for the tournament.
Defoe published a message of thanks to his well-wishers via his Twitter account on Friday and said:
"I want to thank the fans, my family, friends, the England boys, the FA and manager for their support. I can`t tell you how much it means to me. I love you all, may God bless you. A special thank you to Royal Marsden`s doctors & nurses who looked after my dad. Very special people."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city