Euro 2012: Rift between Bayern & Dortmund players in Germany squad?
New Delhi: A considerable rivalry between Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund has developed on and off the pitch over the last couple of years, with their heated matches and volleys in the media leading to suggestions that a rift exists between the clubs` representatives heading into Euro 2012, but Germany right-back Jerome Boateng has denied these assertions.
Boateng has stressed that there is no divide between the players from the Bundesliga giants when they compete at international level.
"There`s honestly no rivalry between us. Sure, you want to win every game," he said. "But in the national team, we play for all."
With Germany`s Euro 2012 campaign set to kick off on Saturday, Boateng is hoping for a good showing from the Mannschaft as they aim to win their first major international tournament since the 1996 European Championship.
"I hope that Euro 2012 will be a great spectacle for the fans and that we will play some great games," he said. " I hope that we will make a good impression of ourselves and will play successful football. If this is the case and the fans support us, it will be a great experience for both sides."
However, Boateng was quick to play down claims that Germany would enter the competition as favourites to lift the trophy.
"Spain and Netherlands are the favourites. I think that France can also play a big role," the 23-year-old said. "Of course I hope that we will be out in front."
Joachim Low`s side have had some hurdles to overcome, with the coach having publicly demanded improvement after recent friendlies against Switzerland and Israel.
Among other concerns, an injury has kept vice-captain Bastian Schweinsteiger sidelined for the warm-up matches and threatens to see him miss Germany`s Group B opener against Portugal. However, Boateng feels that Toni Kroos and Sami Khedira can form a strong enough partnership in defensive midfield to see his side through to victory.
"Yes, for sure. Both players have a lot of quality. One players for Real Madrid, the other for Bayern."
However, he added: "You shouldn`t take too much from friendly matches, because when it comes to playing competitively, it always looks very different."
Finally, Boateng weighed in on the chances Euro Poland and Ukraine have as they co-host a tournament for the first time.
"I think that Poland and Ukraine will have their fans behind them and have a decent chance of making it out of the group stage. The countries` teams are not bad."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened