Euro 2012: Russian midfielder Dzagoev asks fans to behave
Warsaw: Russian football fans must behave themselves to avoid harming the team`s chances of qualifying for Euro 2016, midfielder Alan Dzagoev has said.
Russia received a suspended six-point deduction from Euro 2016 qualifying and the Russian Football Union was fined 120,000 euros for crowd disturbances and the use of pyrotechnics after Russia`s opening 4-1 win over the Czech Republic last week.
Video has emerged showing Russian fans assaulting Polish stewards after the match. Four stewards were reportedly hospitalised.
"Of course we don`t want six points being taken off us," said Dzagoev, who scored two goals against the Czechs.
"The fans should be more restrained, so that their behaviour doesn`t cause harm to the team."
Despite crowd trouble, Dzagoev said the whole team appreciated the Russian fans` passion at Euro 2012.
"It`s nice and unexpected for everyone that the national team is getting such a warm reception," he said.
"People wave their arms at the sight of us and try to support us."
Russia are on four points after a 1-1 draw with Poland and their final game of the group stage is against Greece Saturday.
A draw will be enough to put the Russians into the quarterfinals, while the Greeks need a win to have any chance of progressing.
CSKA Moscow midfielder Dzagoev has 22 caps for Russia and has scored seven goals for his country, three of them at Euro 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here