Euro 2012: Spain need to stop Pirlo in final, says Fabregas
Kiev: Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas has declared that La Roja will need to pay special attention to Andrea Pirlo in Sunday`s Euro 2012 final against Italy.
The 33-year-old has been scintillating for the Azzurri and put in another sterling display in Thursday`s 2-1 victory over Germany.
Fabregas is wary of the threat posed by the Juventus playmaker and stated that he was impressed by Mario Balotelli`s performance against the Germans.
"We will have to stop Italy`s attackers and Pirlo as well," Fabregas told reporters at a press conference.
"Balotelli is a great player and he showed it yesterday. He scored two great goals against Germany in the semi-finals.
"That says it all. I really liked the way he played. He will be a threat, like Antonio Cassano or any other player."
Spain have become the second side to reach three straight finals, and Fabregas has called on the team to go one better than West Germany on Sunday.
"This is not the time to reflect on my season at Barcelona," he affirmed. "That is in the past.
"What matters is to be ready to play another final with the team on Sunday. We want to make more than history, because we have already made history."
Questioned about Andres Iniesta`s role in La Roja, Fabregas said: "He had a tough season because of the injuries he suffered, but he arrived at the Euros in great form.”
"There are only a few players who are as creative as he is. He is a different type of player.”
"We need him to be a central piece and we trust him a lot."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy