Euro 2012: Spain wary of Irish fighting spirit, says Xabi Alonso
Gdansk: Spain are wary of Ireland`s fighting spirit, Spanish midfielder Xabi Alonso said ahead of their crucial Group C clash in Gdansk.
The reigning champions drew 1-1 with Italy in their opener last week and will expect all three points against an Ireland side looking to bounce back from a 3-1 defeat to leaders Croatia.
"If Ireland play with two banks of four players it will be difficult to find spaces but we are working on those things," the Real Madrid player told UEFA.com.
"The first goal will be key, we hope to score it and to control the game from there," he said, adding "We know about their fighting spirit".
Defeat to Spain will almost certainly spell the end of Ireland`s campaign.
Alonso has ties to Ireland, a country he visited in his youth to learn English.
"I played some Gaelic football when I was there at 13 years of age. I really like the Irish culture," he said.
The 30-year-old former Liverpool and Real Sociedad midfielder is three caps short of 100 for his country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick
- Nargis Fakhri looks smoking hot in this outfit with plunging neckline – See Pics
- BJP leader Yashwant Sinha criticises Modi government on NSG fiasco