Euro Cup 2012: Nasri admits France’s ‘relief’ over not facing Rooney
London: Samir Nasri has admitted that France is relieved at not having to face Wayne Rooney in Monday’s Euro 2012 encounter with England.
Nasri has described the clash in Donetsk as make-or-break match for France and has expressed the team’s determination not to be on the losing side.
“It could be important that Rooney is out of the first game. Due to the style of his play and what he means to the team, I think they will miss him a lot. For France, it’s a relief we don’t have to face a player of that quality,” a daily quoted Nasri, as saying.
The French international footballer hopes to make up for lost time after being omitted from France’s ill-fated World Cup campaign two years ago.
“It’s so important to do well in the first game of a tournament because it can be key in the group. If you lose, you have so much pressure on the next two games. A lot is at stake, so I think we will be going for a win in that match,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Javed Miandad asks Misbah-ul-Haq to call off retirement plans to ensure Pakistan's future success
- Salman Khan's sister Arpita's house robbed; cash, goods worth Rs 3.25 lakh stolen
- Severe obesity alone can increase heart failure risk
- Fertilizer factory tank leaks, 35 ill in Bangladesh
- Pace of new bad loan formation has decelerated: RBI