Euro Cup 2012: Xavi breaks European Championship passing record
Gdansk (Poland): Spain midfielder Xavi has broken the record for the most passes attempted and completed in a European Championship game during the 4-0 win over Republic of Ireland.
The midfield maestro attempted 136 passes on Thursday and completed 127 of them. The previous record of 117 attempted passes had been held by Netherlands legend Ronald Koeman, who accrued that total during the 1992 tournament in a clash against Denmark.
Spain also eclipsed another European Championship mark by attempting 860 passes against the Boys in Green.
La Roja brushed Giovanni Trapattoni`s men aside with ease on Thursday, running out 4-0 winners and boasting 78 per cent possession.
They now top Group C alongside Croatia, who they face in the final round of group matches on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Delhi court pronounces death for two convicts, life in jail for third
- Joint Admission Board forms panel to suggest ways to boost number of women in IITs
- Revealed! How Diana Penty prepped up for her character in 'Happy Bhag Jayegi' – Details inside
- No more surge pricing for Ola, Uber, others; all taxis to charge govt-set fares in Delhi from today
- Flood situation remains grim in UP, MP and Bihar; Ganga flowing above danger mark