Euro Cup 2012: Xavi breaks European Championship passing record
Gdansk (Poland): Spain midfielder Xavi has broken the record for the most passes attempted and completed in a European Championship game during the 4-0 win over Republic of Ireland.
The midfield maestro attempted 136 passes on Thursday and completed 127 of them. The previous record of 117 attempted passes had been held by Netherlands legend Ronald Koeman, who accrued that total during the 1992 tournament in a clash against Denmark.
Spain also eclipsed another European Championship mark by attempting 860 passes against the Boys in Green.
La Roja brushed Giovanni Trapattoni`s men aside with ease on Thursday, running out 4-0 winners and boasting 78 per cent possession.
They now top Group C alongside Croatia, who they face in the final round of group matches on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sensitive issues could damage ties with US military: China
- Graft case: Court seeks CBI's reply on accused' bail plea
- German minister rejects blanket suspicion of refugees after attacks
- Don't derail ties with India with controversial statements on Kashmir, Pak daily urges Islamabad
- Congress member wants PM's response to Hafiz's war rants, chinese interference