Euro Cup 2012: Xavi breaks European Championship passing record
Gdansk (Poland): Spain midfielder Xavi has broken the record for the most passes attempted and completed in a European Championship game during the 4-0 win over Republic of Ireland.
The midfield maestro attempted 136 passes on Thursday and completed 127 of them. The previous record of 117 attempted passes had been held by Netherlands legend Ronald Koeman, who accrued that total during the 1992 tournament in a clash against Denmark.
Spain also eclipsed another European Championship mark by attempting 860 passes against the Boys in Green.
La Roja brushed Giovanni Trapattoni`s men aside with ease on Thursday, running out 4-0 winners and boasting 78 per cent possession.
They now top Group C alongside Croatia, who they face in the final round of group matches on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH