Euro Cup 2012: Xavi breaks European Championship passing record
Gdansk (Poland): Spain midfielder Xavi has broken the record for the most passes attempted and completed in a European Championship game during the 4-0 win over Republic of Ireland.
The midfield maestro attempted 136 passes on Thursday and completed 127 of them. The previous record of 117 attempted passes had been held by Netherlands legend Ronald Koeman, who accrued that total during the 1992 tournament in a clash against Denmark.
Spain also eclipsed another European Championship mark by attempting 860 passes against the Boys in Green.
La Roja brushed Giovanni Trapattoni`s men aside with ease on Thursday, running out 4-0 winners and boasting 78 per cent possession.
They now top Group C alongside Croatia, who they face in the final round of group matches on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees