Euro Cup: Malouda wary of threat posed by Chelsea team-mate Torres
Donetsk: France midfielder Florent Malouda has admitted that he is concerned to see his Chelsea team-mate Fernando Torres return to goalscoring form ahead of Les Bleus` Euro 2012 quarter-final against Spain.
Torres has endured a difficult time since his British record £50 million move from Anfield to Stamford Bridge, having scored just seven Premier League goals in 46 appearances for last season`s Champions League winners.
Back in the national side, largely as a result of David Villa`s season-ending leg-break, however, Torres looks to have rediscovered his best form with two clinically-taken goals against the Republic of Ireland in the group stage an indication of his growing confidence.
"Fernando finished the season very strongly and showed great determination," Malouda told reporters. "He has a great desire to show that he is still one of the world`s great strikers. The Euros are a perfect showcase for him to show his qualities and he can demonstrate this and return to the club stronger.
"It will be difficult for us because we will meet again the player who won the previous European Championships and World Cup. It will be very dangerous for us to face Fernando, just like it was for us up against Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
"Fernando can easily score two or three goals and he is the player who makes great runs for his team-mates. He will be a true menace for us and we must do everything to make sure he will not shine."
France will meet the defending champions having squandered the opportunity to top Group D after their defeat against Sweden. That loss also brought about an end to their lengthy 23-game unbeaten run, and Malouda admitted his side could not afford a repeat performance if they are to prolong their involvement in the competition.
"It`s not the end of the run that was a shock but more the way it ended because we didn`t look like a the team who had gone on such a long unbeaten sequence, that was the shocking part of it," Malouda admitted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena