Euro Cup: Van der Sar `in shock` as the Netherlands crash out of Euro 2012
Warsaw: Edwin van der Sar was left shocked and disappointed after watching the Netherlands fail to qualify for the quarter-finals of Euro 2012 following their 2-1 defeat to Portugal on Sunday.
Bert van Marwijk`s team failed to win a single game in Poland and Ukraine, falling to last place in Group B.
The 2010 World Cup finalists made the best possible start to the game when Rafael van der Vaart curled in a delightful opener after just 11 minutes, but Portugal responded in style with star-man Cristiano Ronaldo netting a goal in each half to dump the Netherlands out of the competition.
"I`m in shock," Van der Sar told RCTI.
"We had it coming. It was seen in the build up to the tournament. We were missing one or two players, some just returning from injury. Then during the tournament, different parts of the team didn`t function together."
Van der Sar, who made 130 appearances for the Netherlands during an international career that spanned 14 years, also believes that there will have to be some changes made to the national team if the Dutch are to be a succesful outfit in the future.
Captain Mark van Bommel was dropped by Van Marwijk for the game against Portugal and the former Manchester United goalkeeper believes the AC Milan`s international career may be over.
"I think it`s over for Mark van Bommel in the national team," he admitted. "There will be one or two changes in this team. It`s a disappointing result for us after what has been achieved in the past few years.
"I think [Maarten] Stekelenburg did well, but our overall performance in the second half was below expectations."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi