Euro Cup: Van der Sar `in shock` as the Netherlands crash out of Euro 2012
Warsaw: Edwin van der Sar was left shocked and disappointed after watching the Netherlands fail to qualify for the quarter-finals of Euro 2012 following their 2-1 defeat to Portugal on Sunday.
Bert van Marwijk`s team failed to win a single game in Poland and Ukraine, falling to last place in Group B.
The 2010 World Cup finalists made the best possible start to the game when Rafael van der Vaart curled in a delightful opener after just 11 minutes, but Portugal responded in style with star-man Cristiano Ronaldo netting a goal in each half to dump the Netherlands out of the competition.
"I`m in shock," Van der Sar told RCTI.
"We had it coming. It was seen in the build up to the tournament. We were missing one or two players, some just returning from injury. Then during the tournament, different parts of the team didn`t function together."
Van der Sar, who made 130 appearances for the Netherlands during an international career that spanned 14 years, also believes that there will have to be some changes made to the national team if the Dutch are to be a succesful outfit in the future.
Captain Mark van Bommel was dropped by Van Marwijk for the game against Portugal and the former Manchester United goalkeeper believes the AC Milan`s international career may be over.
"I think it`s over for Mark van Bommel in the national team," he admitted. "There will be one or two changes in this team. It`s a disappointing result for us after what has been achieved in the past few years.
"I think [Maarten] Stekelenburg did well, but our overall performance in the second half was below expectations."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users